No more audio after upgrading the packages on RNH

stuart stuart at sjsears.com
Fri Feb 11 19:28:50 UTC 2005

On Friday 11 February 2005 18:18, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > The current version of the updgraded system is (uname -r)
> > 2.4.21-27.0.2.EL
okay, the latest one (I think)

> > kudzu -p detectes the sound card, with the following output :
> > class: AUDIO
> > bus: PCI
> > detached: 0
> > driver: i810_audio
<snip>
> > We have just recovered sound outputs by copying the whole kernel/sound
> > repertory from the old kernel version to the upgraded machines :
> > % cp -r /lib/modules/2.4.21-4.EL/kernel/sound/
> > /lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/kernel
> > (the /lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/kernel/sound did not exist).
Sorry - this was a typo in my last post (I missed out part of the path. I was
quite distracted at the time.):
should have been
/lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/kernel/drivers/sound
do you have drivers in there?

if you copied the other machine's modules to
/lib/modules/2.4.21-27.0.2.EL/kernel/sound/
then the original ones are probably still there, so nothing should have been
broken. Phew.

based on the kudzu output, your sound chip uses the intel i810 audio driver
and you should have had a line something like
alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
in your /etc/modules.conf
as for the other mixer lines etc etc I'm not entirely sure how they should
work. you could try leaving them in and see what happens?

> Hi - For a complete /lib/modules/kernel-version to be missing seems
> like a pretty big problem..
I don't think it was, Mark.
I think Nicolas read my last post, typo and all and believed me.
That'll learn 'im :-)

> To me this seems a bit like you didn't have the right /usr/src/linux
> link.
I would disagree here, the /usr/src/linux-2.4 directory links are not related
to the kernel having missing drivers, unless it is a home-compiled affair,
which based on earlier posts it probably isn't
> Some programs use that link to determine where to put things or
> what to build code against. If the link points to the wrong kernel
> then stuff gets placed in the wrong location. Since you are using a
> much older kernel here you are possibly more subject to that sort of
> problem.
>
> > Now the sound is OK... But that is no doubt a bad way of doing, and we
> > would prefer to do it properly ! Any advice ?
1) check the correct directory in /lib/modules
2) see if 'lsmod | grep i810' tells you anything useful
on the whole I would *never* mix modules from two different kernel versions.
They can make your linux environment a very uncomfortable place....

> Yes - keep working to find the right answer.
>
> > Moreover, it seems that the alsa lib is still not runing well...
> > The /proc/asound/version and /proc/asound/cards directories still do not
> > exist.
> On the other hand if Alsa didn't load then possibly that directpry is
> not created.
this is distinctly possible, given that /proc only reflects what the kernel
currently knows about.
what happens if you modprobe i810_audio ?
do the directories appear then?

> > I was unable to compile, for example, the JACK audio server, because
> > ./configure does not find the alsa lib in pkg-config... :
You would need the ALSA development libraries for compiling JACK (or so I am
inclined to believe). Is there not a precompiled RPM of it you could install
without needing the build libraries?

> Jack will not run until Alsa runs cleanly. I use Jack all the time. It
> works very well, but it does require Alsa be up and going.
was this a home-build of JACK or do you have an RPM?
I only ask because I was reading about in just the other day and it looks very
cool.

Stuart

--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX, RTFM, ASAP
"Life is too important to take seriously."