VNC

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Feb 15 19:22:56 UTC 2005

roland brouwers wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Is there a way to start VNC, without getting the desktop of Linux, but
> direct the program you would like to execute.
>
> I understand that Microsoft Terminalserver can do it, so...
>
> I am asking this because it takes to much time, over the internet, to
> start VNC with linux-desktop.
>
> Thanks for any answer.

The HOWTO on VNC explains it all, but you can run vncserver as a
separate task by the user you intend to remotely log in as.  In that
user's home directory, you should find a ".vnc" directory.  In it should
be a file called "xstartup".  It should contain the following:

	#!/bin/sh

	# Red Hat Linux VNC session startup script
	unset SESSION_MANAGER
	exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

When you vnc to the box, do it as follows:

	vncviewer remoteboxname:1

Log in and you should get an absolute minimum X desktop (basically the
TWM manager).
-   To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.    -