DVD Play Speed

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Wed Feb 16 21:08:14 UTC 2005

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:57:53 -0700 (MST), karlp at ourldsfamily.com
> <karlp at ourldsfamily.com> wrote:
>> RH v8, Intel system (on a slower AMD system this isn't an issue)
>>
>> If I play a DVD on my DVD drive (/dev/cdrom1), it's choppy and uneven
>> whether I play it with gmplayer or ogle.
>>
>> If I
>>
>> dd if=/dev/dvd of=file.iso
>>
>> then play it using either, it plays nicely.
>>
>> Is there a problem with the IDE drivers? I have a scsi disk as the
>> primary
>> drive. So, I copied it to an IDE drive on the same system and it still
>> played fine.
>>
>> Any suggestions might be useful, if I can understand them, or even
>> implement them.
>>
>> Karl
>
> Karl,
>    Is DMA enabled for the DVD?
>
> [root at Godzilla root]# hdparm /dev/hdd
>
> /dev/hdd:
>  HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Invalid argument
>  IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
>  unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
>  using_dma    =  1 (on)
>  keepsettings =  0 (off)
>  readonly     =  0 (off)
>  readahead    = 256 (on)
>  HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument
> [root at Godzilla root]#
>
> If your DVD happens to be a slave device on an EIDE cable that has
> another active device that can slow you down also. I think this
> probably isn't a problem since you're using SCSI.
>
> Other possibilities (unlikely) might be that your EIDE controller is
> sharing an interrupt with some other device and that other device is
> doing strange things. 'cat /proc/interrupts' to take a quick look at
> that. It's unlikely since most systems do not share the EIDE
> interrupts with other devices.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Mark

Nope, DMA is off on that drive. I vaguely remember trying to turn it on
some time back, but it didn't let me. I wonder if it being a slave on the
IDE controller is causing everything I'm seeing. My primary is a RW CD
drive, which I use a lot more, so switch them might not be a good idea.?

Here's the output:

root # hdparm /dev/dvd

/dev/dvd:
 HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Invalid argument
 IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  1 (on)
 readahead    =  8 (on)
 HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument

I see that the readahead is way lower than yours, too. Could this be the
problem?

Karl