More FC3 install problems 'Assertion (heads >0)' Workaround

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Thu Feb 17 02:56:58 UTC 2005

Rick Stevens wrote:

> Graeme Nichols wrote:
>
>>> Yup.  Sorry about that.  I'm glad to hear you got it sorted out.  I
>>> hadn't heard about the problems with parted.  Sounds like it gets
>>> confused by head counts >15.  Ick!

>>> That's a possibility.  To be honest, I haven't tried conversion of my
>>> old StarOffice stuff.
>>

>> Thanks to rpm -q --filesbypkg openoffice.org I managed to locate the
>> 'setup' file I am instructed to run when I try and convert my files
>> and templates but running it doesn't fix anything so I converted all
>> my StarOffice 5.2 files and templates on my Windows install of OO and
>> copied them all across to the appropriate directories on FC2. Worked
>> fine. The question, I guess, is why has FC3 (and FC2 by the way) been
>> supplied with a broken OO? I fired up my Lindows CD and my Knoppix CD
>> and both the OO versions on them, 1.0 and 1.1 respectively, have the
>> document conversion working as expected. Ahhh.. the idiosyncrasies of
>> RedHat ...
>

> Can't speak to that.  I've just imported the stuff when needed, I've not
> done a blanket conversion.
>
>>> At the office, I have three machines.  The main machine is "prophead",
>>> which is quite old (believe it or not a P-III/866 with 512MB) and still
>>> runs FC1.  I have requested a new machine, but haven't pushed the issue
>>> so far, but I'm getting to the point that I really need a better
>>> machine
>>> (I develop a LOT of software and it takes forever to compile stuff).
>>>
>>> Most of my docs are on prophead with OpenOffice 1.1.0.  It reads the
>>> stuff I had from StarOffice without too many issues.  When it gets
>>> replaced and sent to FC3 with OO 1.1.3, I may have problems.  I'll
>>> worry
>>> about that later.
>>

>> My FC3 only has OO 1.1.2
>

> Yum will fix that.  :-)

Hi Rick, is there a difference in the databases, or whatever, that
up2date and yum use? I ran up2date immediately after installing FC3 and
there were only 4 updates available, can't remember what they were but I
think they were libraries, and OOo 1.1.3 was not among them. I will try
yum later when I have the time. My yum.conf was not updated at FC3
upgrade time but it would appear that its not necessary as it has
variables for the version and release. Am I correct in assuming that
yum.conf doesn't need updating for FC3?

Thanks for your patience.

Kind regards,

Graeme.