More FC3 install problems 'Assertion (heads >0)' Workaround

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Feb 17 17:49:34 UTC 2005

Stuart Sears wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 02:56, Graeme Nichols wrote:
>
>>Rick Stevens wrote:
>

>>>Yum will fix that.  :-)
>>
>>Hi Rick, is there a difference in the databases, or whatever, that
>>up2date and yum use? I ran up2date immediately after installing FC3 and
>>there were only 4 updates available, can't remember what they were but I
>>think they were libraries, and OOo 1.1.3 was not among them. I will try
>>yum later when I have the time. My yum.conf was not updated at FC3
>>upgrade time but it would appear that its not necessary as it has
>>variables for the version and release. Am I correct in assuming that
>>yum.conf doesn't need updating for FC3?
>
> it depends on where you wish to get your packages from!
> I believe the default yum.conf (also read the files in /etc/yum.repo.d
> or was it repos.d? can't remember. one of them anyway!) uses mirror
> lists at redhat. In my experience, you cna achieve better performance by
> change this to point to a specific server, closer to your location.
> You can also add repos for third-party packagers, who will have software
> not available on the RH mirrors (or more recent versions, compiled wiht
> support for things that RH can't build against for legal reasons)
> common yum repositories for extra packages are
> http://dag.wieers.com
> http://freshrpms.net
> http://kde-redhat.sf.net
>
> if you visit those sites you can find information on what to add to your
> /etc/yum.conf (or the repos directory) to enable the repositories.
>
> they just happen to be the three that i use.
> Other common repos are
> http://www.fedora.us
> http://rpm.livna.org - specifically NVidia drivers for various kernels

I use the following FC3 /etc/yum.conf:

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=fedora-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1
gpgcheck=1

[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
# The first line is the primary server, the remainder are mirrors...
baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/$releasever/os/$basearch
         http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/$releasever/$basearch/os
         http://mirror.web-ster.com/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/os

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
# The first line is the primary server, the remainder are mirrors...
baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/$releasever/updates/$basearch
         http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch
         http://mirror.web-ster.com/fedora/updates/$releasever/$basearch

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch

#[updates-testing]
#name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Unreleased Updates
#baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/testing/fedora-core-$releasever
-       "Yeah, but you're taking the universe out of context."       -