Red Hat Desktop Vs. Enterprise 3 WS

Bone Randy randy1200 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 22:05:46 UTC 2005

We have a Linux application that claims RH Enterprise
3 WS is an approved OS. When we install on Enterprise
3 WS, it works just fine.

Someone in the organization took our second
development PC, and installed RH Desktop (instead of
the approved WS version). He insists that Desktop is
the exact same operating system as Enterprise 3 WS.
The application warned us during installation that
Desktop is not a supported operating system, but gave
the option to continue. The application fails to
communicate with our VME rack over ethernet. The first
seat, installed on WS, works just fine.

In general, can someone tell me the differences
between Red Hat Desktop, and Red Hat Enterprise 3 WS?
Or maybe just point me toward a document that explains
the differences? My guess is that it's not so much a
difference in files available, but rather, a
difference in the way that services are started.

Thanks,
Randy