How to add a new partition to an existing Red HAT 8

Smith, Albert Albert.Smith at genexservices.com
Sun Feb 20 15:03:53 UTC 2005

fdisk /dev/hda (if it's your primary disk but check /etc/fstab to see what your hd is for your linux mp's.)
Press Enter at the starting cylinder
+1G for 1 gig or +1M for 1Meg and so on.
partprobe

if you are running an ext2 fs
then

mke2fs /dev/new partition

if ext3

mke2fs -j /dev/new partition

then mount it.

Albert Smith Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
HPCSA, RHCT
Genex Services
440 E. Swedesford Rd.
 Wayne, PA 19087