How to add a new partition to an existing Red HAT 8

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 21 03:38:12 UTC 2005

We prefer bottom-posting, here, that is, reply below (or interleaved
with) what you're replying to.

Answer: Because it makes the flow of conversation easier to follow.

Question: Why do you prefer bottom-posting?

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 10:00:50PM +0545, bj wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Thank you for the prompt reply .
>
> The result of fdisk -l /dev/hda is as ffs :-
>

> Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 7297 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *         1       574   4610623+   7  HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/hda2           575      1097   4200997+  83  Linux
> /dev/hda3          1098      1228   1052257+  82  Linux swap
> /dev/hda4          1229      1835   4875727+   7  HPFS/NTFS
>

> I think I hit the limitation of 4 primary partitions .

You are correct, sir.

> Please advice .
>
> cheers,
> bj

What's /dev/hda4 being used for?  Does Win2K see it as a D: (or some
other drive letter than C:)?

If not, or if nothing is on it, you're golden.  If there is something
on there, can it all be moved to C:?  If not, can it be backed up to
tape or CD or DVD or another machine via network?

What you want to be able to do is delete part 4, and then make a new
extended partition that covers the rest of the whole drive, and then
of that you can make a large number of logical partitions.

Failing that, you might have to save off anything important and
repartition and reinstall everything.

robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
The best home improvement manual is the Bible.