Fedore Core 3 hangs on install

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Feb 22 17:07:38 UTC 2005

Carl Reynolds wrote:
> I am trying to install Fedora Core 3 on an AMD 2800 64 with 512MB RAM
> and 112GB HD. The Hardrive is a WesternDigital WD1200JD-00H SATA drive.
> I am using a Giga-Byte mother board with a ViA on board chip set. There
> is a video controller built in to the chip set and that is what I'm
> using as video output.
>
> When I start the installation process the installer hangs with an
> X-Server failure almost as soon as I select Graphical Install.
>
> I performed the installation in text mode using 'linux text xfs' to
> start the install.
>
> Now that the installation is complete, the machine hangs on re-boot on a
> blank screen with the words "Booting 'Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)'" at the
> top of the screen and several seemingly randomly placed dots on the
> screen below it.
>
> The CDs for the install are for x86-64.
>
> Does anyone know what the problem is here and how I can get around it?

This is not an x86-64 issue, it's a video card driver problem.  I'm
almost certain you have an nVidia card, and they are notoriously cranky
during installations.  Do a text install (enter "linux text" at the
"boot" prompt, then go to nVidia's site and get the latest driver for
your hardware.  Install it per their instructions, then run
"system-config-display" and make sure you specify the new nVidia driver.
-   Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?  I don't know.  Who cares?  -