HELP on optimizing postgresql on redhat 9

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Feb 25 17:01:39 UTC 2005

sandeep shivasharan wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i have RedHat 9 with postgres-7.3 installed on a P-IV 2.4Ghz 1GB of RAM.
> i am also running jboss app. server. as my database is growing, i need to plan
> for optimizing the app server and database server to its best. can anybody
> tell me any suggestion, do's n don'ts and a proper way to do the same.

Your best bet is the documentation on the PostgreSQL site.  I run
PostgreSQL here but it's not particularly active and I've not had to
tweak it very heavily (we use it as an LDAP back end and for storage
of appointment calendars and address books).
-     If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...     -
-              ...oh, wait.  He does.  THAT explains it!             -