No Hard drives has been found

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jan 4 22:27:34 UTC 2005

Emanuel Mauritzson wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> Emanuel Mauritzson wrote:
>>
>>> I have a problem when i trying to install Red Hat.
>>>
>>> This message occur when i trying to install
>>>
>>> "No hard drives have been  found you probably need to manually choose
>>> drivers for the installation to succed"
>>> ---------------------
>>> And after that
>>> ------------------------
>>> No device drivers has been loaded for your system would you like to
>>> load any now
>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> then i can choose a lot of devices but to me it only looks like
>>> networkcards devices
>>> so when i push done and enter the X graph mode. I can fill out
>>> Language, Keybord and mouse settings then the program reboot the
>>> computer and gives the message no hard disc is found.
>>>

>>> Could somebody help me..Know my english not so good..
>>

>> Which version of Red Hat?  If you use SATA hard drives, Red Hat never
>> supported them without an external driver disk.  The Fedora Core
>> releases do support many SATA drives.
>>
>> Can you give us details about your system?  We need to know the
>> motherboard make and model, CPU type and amount of memory.  If you use
>> SCSI or SATA drives, we need to know what type of controller you are
>> trying to use.
>>
> Version of Redhat 9.0
>
> Moterboard Inteld925xcv 925x moterboard blkd925xcvlk
> CPU Intel pentium 4 540 3.2 1mb l2 chache 800mhz fsb lga 775
> Memory Samsung 521 ddr2 pc400 (x2)
> harddrive seagate barracuda 80gb 8mb chache serial ata hd (x2)

Ok.  If I read that right:

Operating System:	Red Hat Linux 9
Motherboard:		Intel D925XCV
CPU:			Intel Pentium 4
Memory			1GB (2 x 512MB DDR2 PC400 modules)
Hard Drive:		Seagate Barracuda SATA 80GB

> Trying to do the install in anaconda, if that what you meen with
> "controller" im using...

Anaconda is the Red Hat Linux installer program.  My question was aimed
at what disk drive controller was being used.  By what you said above, I
can see that you're using the SATA controller on the motherboard.

Red Hat Linux 9 doesn't support that SATA controller and Intel doesn't
provide any drivers that will support it under Linux.  You could put in
a regular IDE drive and install to it, but I don't think that's what you
really want to do.

If you want to use the SATA hard drive, you will need to upgrade to
Fedora Core 2 or Fedora Core 3, which does have support for that SATA
controller.  If you use Fedora Core 3, you'll be absolutely current.

You should be aware that Red Hat Linux 9 reached end-of-life in April of
2004, meaning that Red Hat doesn't support it any longer.  Updates are
available from the Fedora Legacy project, but it's really quite an old
operating system now.

Fedora Core 3 (FC3) is the latest free version of Linux that's available
which has any affiliation with Red Hat (Red Hat does a lot of the
development of FC3, but it is NOT a Red Hat product).
-           Blech!  ACKth!  Ooop!  -- Bill the Cat (Outland)         -