new machine - problems with gaim

RUSHE John (AXA-TECH-UK) John.Rushe at axa-tech.com
Wed Jan 5 08:29:10 UTC 2005

Mark,

The messages below show that your system is trying to obtain an IP
address from a DHCP server. If this machine is situated on your LAN, I
would try giving it a static IP address (see
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and /etc/sysconfig/network).

If this machine itself connects directly to the internet, it will try to
obtain an IP address from your ISP's DHCP server. It's possible that
when the DHCP server gives your machine an IP address, the lease time
(the length of time that your machine is allowed to keep the same IP
address) is quite short (maybe just a few hours). Once your lease is up,
your machine must go through the whole process of acquiring an IP
address again from your ISP's (or your LAN's) DHCP server hence you
experience the delay every now again whilst the DHCP client (your
machine) and the DHCP server negotiate a new IP address.

If you can, go for a static IP and see if this helps. The one thing that
does puzzle me re: your email below is that you say that you can still
browse the web even when GAIM is having trouble. If this is a DHCP
problem, no network services going out from your machine would be able
to work since at that time your machine would not have an IP address.

HTH

John