help the redhat enterprise AS 3 does not detect the sata drive

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jan 6 18:38:46 UTC 2005

Amro Anwar wrote:
> Hi
>
> I bought a new computer hp 6100 micro Tower with the following cofiguration
> Pentuim 4 3.2 GHz
> 2 GB Ram
> 2 SATA Maxtor Hard drives each 120GB
> but these hard dirves are not detected by the redhat enterprise AS 3
> So I attached a 8GB hard drive IDE and I installed the redhat enterprise
> AS 3 on it and I were hoping that after installation it can detect the
> sata drives after applying tha update 1 cd but the surprise was that
> after installation I did not know how to apply the update 1 cd and the
> sata hard disks still not detected so can any one tell me a trusted way
> to apply the update 1 cd and what package needed to be upgraded or added
> to let the os see the sata hard disks.

For the umpteenth time, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (in any of its flavors,
ES, AS, WS or desktop) does NOT support SATA drives.  If your SATA
controller maker supplies an RHEL driver, fine.  If not, you're outa
luck.  Go to Fedora Core 2 or 3 for native SATA support.
-  Jimmie crack corn and I don't care...what kind of lousy attitude  -
-                 is THAT to have, huh?   -- Dennis Miller           -