Switching to static IPs for wlan0

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 21:41:27 UTC 2005

Hi Rick,
   OK, so I've had it with this DHCP nonsense for a while. If the
scripts are somehow changing files that I've written by hand then I
don't like that. I've attempted to set up static IPs based on an email
you sent me some weeks ago:

<SNIP>
Ok, here's an example using static IPs.  Items you need to change for
your local conditions are marked with a "(*)":

       # Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
       # for the documentation of these parameters.
       # Broadcom BCM94306 802.11g
       BOOTPROTO=static
       USERCTL=no
       PEERDNS=yes
(*)     GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
       TYPE=Wireless
       DEVICE=wlan0
(*)     HWADDR=HW-value
(*)     NETMASK=255.255.255.0
(*)     IPADDR=192.168.0.128
(*)     ESSID=sssscnet
(*)     CHANNEL=9
(*)     KEY=s:WEPkeyInASCII
(*)     MODE=Managed
(*)     RATE=11Mb/s
<SNIP>

I've copied the above example and then modified for my 192.168.10
network. I've modified and rebooted but so far it's not connecting, so
I have a couple of questions.

1) ONBOOT=yes is OK to get it started automatically?

2) I use Open key management. In my script file I use

iwconfig key open XXXXX

is the right format in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0

KEY=OPENs:XXXXX  ?????

I cannot find an example of that in Google yet.

3) Is there anything else I'd need to add to hae the network connect
correctly at bootup without intervention?

I'll keep looking onthe web.

Thanks,
Mark