remote jetdirect printing

chuck lawrence celawrence at lbl.gov
Mon Jan 10 22:03:29 UTC 2005

hi,

I'm trying to configure a print server, I guess.  I've got a collection
of *nix boxes and some hp jetdirect printers.

I can add a jetdirect printer to my rhe 3 server, either with the cups
tool or printconf - that works great.  with printconf, I get the ability
to "share" the printer, either to "all hosts" or to a list.

so if I share the printer, and then try to print from another host,
nothing happens - no obvious errors, nothing to suggest that my original
host has even received a request to process a print job.

clearly, I'm missing something.  can this be done the way I'm trying to
do it?

adv<thanks>ance

--

  | charles e. lawrence | lawrence berkeley nat'l lab |

     "If the human body did patch management the way
      (companies do), we'd all be dead."

                www-eng.lbl.gov/~lawrence