FC3/Alsa/Gnome/CD-Player question

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 19:23:09 UTC 2005

Hi,
   What's required to get an audio CD to play under Gnome? So far I
cannot get any of the players I'm finding on the system to behave.

1) Alsa works. aplay filename.wav plays the file correctly. alsamixer
sets levels and correctly restores on reboot.

2) Under Gnome's Preferences->Sound I have enable sound server on
startup disabled.

3) The FC3 install found both drives on the system whihc has a DVD+RW
and CD drive. Here's the fstab entries:

/dev/hdd                /media/cdrom            auto
pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,ro,exec,noauto,managed
0 0

/dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto
pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,ro,exec,noauto,managed
0 0

It appears that FC3 has moved the mount points for these devices away
from /mount to /media? Is this an important direction all of Linux is
taking or just some random thought someone out there had about
confusing people for no good reason?

The kernel is very new:

[mark at dragonfly 2.6.10-1.737_FC3smp]$ uname -r
2.6.10-1.737_FC3smp

   I'm not sure what to do next and hoping this is so basic someone
can tell me what to do in about 3 seconds.

Thanks in advance,
Mark