printing

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jan 20 17:58:48 UTC 2005

roland brouwers wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have a printing problem.
>
> The application I wrote uses the Unix printing system or jetdirect and a
> generic interface, raw text.
>
> When I start a long printjob, something like 30 invoices, the spooljob
> is never removed. In other words, when finished, the spooler launches
> his job again and again and again. He doesn’t do this with a job, not
> longer than something like 10 pages.
>
> Could this be a problem of RedHat9?

I've never heard of that specific problem, but RH9 did have some known
printing issues.  BTW, you didn't say if you were using CUPS or LPRng.

> I heard that for the RH enterprise, there was a patch for this problem.

Entirely possible, although RHEL is based on RH7.2.  Have you checked
the update base at Fedora Legacy for CUPS and/or LPRng updates
(depending on which you're using)?

> I have this problem with all my RH9 installations.

That wouldn't surprise me.

I would highly recommend you go to http://www.fedoralegacy.org and do
a couple of things.  First, install yum or apt-get from that site on
your RH9 machines, then update your systems:

	# yum update cups*    or   # yum update lprng*
-or-
	# apt-get -u update cups    or   # apt-get -u update lprng

Remember that RH9 is dead (as of April of last year) and the only
updates you can get will be from the Fedora Legacy group.  You should
also think about updating to Fedora Core 2 or 3 at some point.  I don't
know how long Fedora Legacy will continue to support RH9
-      We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.     -