Did setting up Samba/firewall cause networking not to work after powerdown?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 00:18:26 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:06:50 -0800, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>    After all the help I got yesterday I feel bad coming back to the
> well so quickly but the machine worked fine all of last evening and
> was then powered down. This morning it doesn't connect to the wireless
> router. Since it's not on the network I cannot send the output of
> command very easily but so far I note that:
>
> 1) If I do a route command dragonfly hangs after the first two lines
> and doesn't give me the default route for about 30 seconds. If I do
> route -n it gives it to me immediately.
>
> 2) The Netgear router shows the MAC address of dragonfly as attached.
>
> 3) dragonfly cannot ping the Netgear router.
>
> 4) If I run iwlist wlan0 scanning from dragonfly I see the router. The
> MAC address and ESSID (and everything else) looks pretty normal.
> Signal strength does look a little lower than usual. Possibly this is
> part of the issue.
>
> 5) If I run chkconfig --del iptables and reboot then it still doesn't
> work but the iptables modules are loaded into memory and iptables -L
> tells me the firewall is stopped.
>
>    dragonfly was built about 2 weeks ago and has been wireless since
> it went live. Yesterday's work was the only significant configuration
> changes I've made but there have been up2date updates going on as
> recently as yesterday.
>
>    Thanks in advance for any ideas.
>
> - Mark

A bit more information. I have now found that if I take the network
down and bring it back up then it works, at least for a while. The
machine did hard crash after about 10 minutes and I had to power
cycle.

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown wlan0
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup wlan0

and it works. However after a reboot ifup wlan0 is not enough to get
the network going. I must take it down first.

- Mark