faint X screen

Tapas Ranjan sarangi at bpost.kek.jp
Sun Jan 30 06:16:44 UTC 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Rick Stevens wrote:

> Tapas Ranjan wrote:
> > Hi :
> > 	Though it is not a linux problem, but I thought to post it. Just
> > two hours ago, my laptop screen got fainted. I can hardly see anything
> > on the X. Somehow I manage to reboot it and found the same thing in
> > Windows partition as well. The screen has almost no light in it even
> > though there is plug-power.
> > 	My first thought why this happened is probably because I watched
> > DVD continously for few hours which broke some of the hardware inside.:(
> > Any suggestion.
>
> It happens.  Sounds like the backlight on your screen pooped out and
> what you can see is only with the aid of reflected light.  There's not
> much you can do beyond doing a complete reset of the BIOS.  If the

How to do a reset of BIOS ? I have no idea. Few months ago I did a BIOS
upgrade for this comp via DELL site.

> backlight did die, then getting it repaired can cost a lot of money
> if the machine isn't under warranty.  It's often cheaper to chuck the
> machine and get a new one.  I had one once that would cost $500 US to
> repair, but a replacement machine was $1200.  I went with the new
> machine (was faster and had more RAM, to boot).

Yes, I think it has valid warranty period. You've written somethng
about RAM, do you think it also can caused by RAM. I had a 640 RAM
in this comp. Can watching DVDs hamper your screen light ? Hope to get
a reply.

         ---Tapas