Cisco Aironet 350 wireless in FC2-2.6.5

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jan 31 18:27:30 UTC 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:01:01 -0800, Rick Stevens
> <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
>

>>ESSID="youressid open"
>>

> Is this where that belongs? I've been sticking a command in rc.local
> as I did not seem to find documentation on this.

I mistyped.  "open", "on", "off", "restricted", and "[x]" are valid
arguments to iwconfig's "KEY" option, so that should be on the "KEY="
line:

	KEY="s:yourkeystring open"

The options for ESSID are an actual ESSID or the word "any" (for access
to any network found).  The startup scripts take whatever is on the line
and feeds it to iwconfig after the keyword.  So a file with:

	ESSID=myessid
	KEY="s:mykeystring open"

would end up creating a line like:

	iwconfig wlan0 ESSID myessid KEY s:mykeystring open ...

It's really pretty straight forward if you look at
"/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-wireless".

> I'll give it a try.
>
> Helpful. Thanks.
>
> - Mark
>
> P.S. The FC3 machine I was working on last Friday with wireless
> problems is back up and happy. I think I finally have guessed that the
> problem was possibly something that surfaced due to an SMP kernel
> (it's a P4HT machine) and the use of the release candidate for
> ndiswrapper. After I brought up FC2 I loaded the newest ndiswrapper
> and started having similar problems. I looked at my son's FC2 machine
> and found he was using the older version of ndiswrapper. I put that on
> my wife's machine and the network hasn't  missed a beat for the whole
> weekend.

Ta DAH!

> Thanks for your help. I did reseat everything except the processor and
> ran memtest86 for a couple of hour with no failures. Didn't mean to
> imply anywhere that the idea was a bad one. It wasn't, but in this
> case I don't think it was the root cause. (Time will tell...)

Probably not, it sounds like you found it.  It's just when things get
flakey, it's often something stupid like that.
-   Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle.  -