"smartd dead but subsys locked"

Gregory E. Garland geg1 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 14 17:40:19 UTC 2005

Hello,

After putting in a new disk and re-installing RHEL4 ES, I get a "failed"
message when booting and it is attempting to start the smartd service. I get
the message "smartd dead but subsys locked" when checking the status in the
service configuration tool. Other than the new disk, the only difference
from the previous installation is that there is now an external drive used
to back up the Windows XP installation connecting through a usb port. Any
ideas on what the problem is?

Thanks.