FC2 to FC3 or FC4 upgrade

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jul 11 23:41:33 UTC 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 7/11/05, Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
>
>>Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>>>FYI all - I have been unable to move forward with this due to none of
>>>the CD passing the media test portion of the install. CD #1 boots fine
>>>and is happy to start the install if I let it, but the CDs themselves
>>>all fail the test media option I'm given at the beginning of the
>>>install.
>>>
>>>I'm currently researching other ways to burn the CDs. I normally use
>>>k3b to do this. I'm sure it can be done at the command line also.
>>
>>First, do an md5sum on the ISO images themselves and verify they got
>>downloaded correctly.  The command to burn a CD on a 2.4 kernel
>>(RH7.2-9, FC1) is:
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Rick & Bob,
>    Thanks for your responses. After burning no less than 10 coasters I
> found new media which worked. Using k3b I had no problem burning at
> 16x. The media was created and the update went fine. I'm now writing
> from the machine booted into FC4.
>
>    That's not to say I'm happy with the update. Unfortunately it
> appears that the update completely hosed all of my Gnome panels and
> menus. I now have a blank panel with no way to even log out of Gnome!
> Pretty bad choices the system made there.
>
>    One thing that's a bit strange about this problem is that the 'Add
> to Panel' function obtained by right clicking the panel still has all
> of my previous menu items, etc. It's just that Gnome is not displaying
> the basic operations button normally in the bottom right.
>
>    Does anyone know how to fix this? Without menus I'd say Gnome is
> pretty much not useful.

Uhm, hmmm.  I didn't have any problems when I upgraded, but I didn't
have anything fancy set up.  I think this was addressed on the
fedora-list recently (last week or two).  Try checking the archive
there.
-    Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward getting   -
-    medicated for it.      -- Jim Evarts (http://www.TopFive.com)   -