usb info

Chuck Lawrence CELawrence at lbl.gov
Wed Jul 13 19:26:55 UTC 2005

greetings,

I've got a few usb related questions.  I'll try to be concise and clear.

background info:  I've got 2 120gb ide drives, in usb-compatible
enclosures.  I see them as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.

1.  how can I determine, with some certainty, whether the bus is 1.1 or 2.0?

2.  is there a favorite usb 2.0 pci card for es 3.0?

3.  any reason that my mkfs -V /dev/sdb1 command would cause the system
to crash/hang?

4.  can I convert an ext2 partition to journal?

right now, my mkfs causes the system to crash/hang, and the fsck of my
90gb /dev/sda1 partition takes ~3 hours.  and this at remote site I have
to drive to.  ouch.

adv<thanks>ance