Sending and receiving mail in linux

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Fri Jul 15 22:07:54 UTC 2005

Greetings Drumil ,

drumil narayan wrote:
> Hello Ajay,
>
> Can you share me, how to send and receive mail from
> linux to others.

You can send an email with an MTA ( Mail Transfer Agent ) .
Fedora Core 1 ( i currenlty use 1 probably the next releases
use the same ) has sendmail and postfix . Pick either of them or
any other you wish .  Now in order to be able to receive email
then you need a programm that will "download" the emails from the
POP3 Server of your ISP . An example for that would be fetchmail ?

how to do send using proxy

Are you using a proxy server ?

and how to
> send using ip (isp has given some ips, i will be using
> that).

Well as i remember from my isp , he hasn't given me
any ips that could help me send emails .
The IPs i was originally given were the 2 DNS Servers that
i would have to use . For the emails he has given me
an alias of the SMTP server and another one for the POP3 Server .
The SMTP Server is the one that sends emails , whereas the POP3 Server
is the one that helps you fetch emails .

> at this moment I have to configure only five email
> accounts for our development head, Sr DBA and for
> three other DBAs.

Well am afraid you are not quite specific here . Do you wish to
configure email for a network or for one computer only ?

Do you have a static ip ( an ip that remains the same ) or a
dynamic ip ( one that changes everytime you try to connect to the
internet ) ?

> its very urgent for me..thanx in  advance..Drumil

Kind Regards,
    Kostas