tape listing

ajay ajay197947 at rediffmail.com
Mon Jul 18 07:00:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 Rick Stevens wrote :
>ajay wrote:
>>  hi gurus
>>
>>i try to list my tape hp 40gb (under compression)

>>[root at tivimtech ajay]# tar vft /dev/st0
>>tar: This does not look like a tar archive
>>tar: Skipping to next header
>>tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

>>it do not list anything and gives this error and comes out.
>>is there any way i can mount it, if yes what is mount type ?
>>
>>i use this command to backup:
>>i am very sure it does backup as i checked date against backup.log
>>it changes everyday and shows latest date time as supposed.
>>
>># Daily Backup on the Dat
>>tar cvfz /dev/st0 /home /data /etc /var/spool/mail /var/www  >/var/log/backup.log &
>>
>>It is scheduled in cron.
>>
>>here is some part of this log.....
>>
>>UW PICO(tm) 4.2                    File: /var/log/backup.log
>>

>>home/
>>home/niteen/
>>home/niteen/.bash_history
>>home/niteen/.addressbook
>>home/niteen/.addressbook.lu
>>home/niteen/.bash_logout
>>home/niteen/.bash_profile
>>home/niteen/.bashrc
>>home/niteen/.canna
>>home/niteen/.emacs
>>home/niteen/.esd_auth
>>home/niteen/.fetchmailrc
>>home/niteen/.fonts.cache-1
>>home/niteen/.gtkrc
>>home/niteen/.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2
>>home/niteen/.ICEauthority
>>home/niteen/.mailboxlist
>>home/niteen/.pinerc
>>home/niteen/.recently-used
>>home/niteen/.rhn-applet.conf
>>home/niteen/.viminfo

>>I am confussed why it says "This does not look like a tar archive" ??
>>

>>help me from this dilemma !!!
>
>Did you rewind the tape before trying to list its contents?
>
># mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
># tar tvf /dev/st0

i wrote "mt -f /dev/st0 rewind" but it returns silent , no error messg , no attempt on tape to rewind it.

i am confused why ?

it just comes to prompt without doing anything, no activity , no message at all.

i checked "mt -f /dev/st0 offline" to confirm "mt" function though.
It works and tape ejects immediately .

scratching my head why not with "rewind" option!

awaiting your reply

thanks and regards

ajay