ADSL, Proxy & Bridge

Jhon Ramawi Putra jhonrp at pamapersada.com
Tue Jul 26 01:49:23 UTC 2005

redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com wrote on 07/26/2005 12:45:52 AM:

> Jhon Ramawi Putra wrote:
> > Dear Gurus...
> >
> > May be this is a beginner question, but any help will be appreciated.
> > This is existing my network diagram:
> >
> > (.....Internet.....) --- [ADSL MODEM]-----[LAN Switch] ---- Desktops
> > (192.168.0.1, etc....)
> >                       192.168.0.9
> >
> > The ADSL Modem act as gateway.
> >
> > Now i want to configure my network to be like this:
> >
> > (.....Internet.....) ---[ADSL MODEM]
> >                 ip : 10.0.0.1, net mask : 255.0.0.0
> >                 eth0: 10.0.0.2, net mask : 255.0.0.0
> >                 [Computer A]
> >                 eth1:192.168.0.10 netmask : 255.255.255.0
> >                 [LAN Switch] ----  Desktops (192.168.0.1, etc ... with

> > netmask : 255.255.255.0)
> >
> > The ADSL Modem is attached to Computer A via eth0. Then my eth1 is
> > connected to LAN. I want to make Computer A as Proxy Server .
> >
> > Then i tried to make a  "bridge" using brctl, and followed every step
in
> > "How to" documents that i found from googling, but i got no success.
> > Computer A can ping to LAN Clients dan Browse to Internet. LAN Clients
can
> > ping Computer A, but they can't ping The ADSL Modem and browse
internet.
> > So, i assumed that the bridge didn't working well.
>
> You need to enable IP forwarding in computer-a to make it act as a
> router.  For that, either do this:
>
>    echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>
> or change the line in /etc/sysctl.conf that reads:
>
>    net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0

>    net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
>
> and either reboot or use "sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1".  For proxy
> operations, you should install and configure squid.
> -    Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward getting   -
> -    medicated for it.      -- Jim Evarts (http://www.TopFive.com)   -

Thanks Rick,

I did this:
>    echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

but i didn't do this one:
> and either reboot or use "sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1".

Before i configured the bridge, i assigned each NIC card with IP. Then i
read this in
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Ethernet-Bridge-netfilter-HOWTO.html
:
"But now they became part of the logical bridge device and therefore need
no IP configuration any longer"

and another tutorial said that i should not assigned IP address first to
the NICs card before configure the bridge nor set DHCP for it. So, may be
that was my fault :)

Ok, i'll try to set it up again (end of this week...). Thanks Rick....!

Best Regards,
Jhon Ramawi Putra