FC4 imap server?

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 30 17:53:32 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 10:35:08AM -0700, Harold Hallikainen wrote:

> > On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 09:19:09PM -0700, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> >> I'm working on bringing up a new machine with FC4. The next challenge is
> >> SquirrelMail. I see SM is installed, but it complains that it cannot log
> >> in to an imap server. Looking around, I see dovecot, which I have not
> >> used
> >> before. Is there an FC4 specific tutorial on setting it up? I find LOTS
> >> of
> >> doc files, but I'm hoping one is a step by step for FC4.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Harold
> >
> > I got dovecot working pretty easily in FC3.  The config file is
> > /etc/dovecot.conf.  Look through it and see if there's anything
> > obviously not right for your installation, and then
> >
> >   service dovecot start
> >
> > If it starts happily, give it a test.  If it doesn't, check
> > /var/log/messages for clues.  If it starts ok, but something doesn't
> > work right, check /var/log/maillog and then edit the config file as
> > required.
> >
> > Oh, and you'll want to
> >
> >   chkconfig dovecot on
> >
> > to assure that it comes up on the next boot.
> >
> > A quick search (dovecot tutorial) turned up this that might be useful:
> >
> > http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-46540.html
> >

> Thanks for the help! I'm moving stuff from a RH8 machine and MAY have
> dropped something from the /etc/passwd file (I tried to just add the
> users, not just replace the file). Anyway, here's what I get:
>
> [root at sujan sbin]# service dovecot start
> Starting Dovecot Imap: Fatal: Login user doesn't exist: dovecot
>                                                            [FAILED]
>

> So, it appears I need to have a user called dovecot (I'm sure this is
> buried in the documentation somewhere...). So, should I add a user
> dovecot? What else should go on that line in etc/passwd?
>
> THANKS!
>
> Harold
> (who remembered to bottom post this time!)

Good man!

Let "groupadd" and "useradd" do the dirty work:

  groupadd -r dovecot
  useradd -r -g dovecot -c dovecot -d /usr/libexec/dovecot -s /sbin/nologin dovecot

The above is gleaned from the way the post-install script for the
dovecot RPM set up my system.  The "-r" tells it to use a numerical
groupid and userid down in the system area (1-500, maybe it's 1000,
now).  "man groupadd" and "man useradd" for more explanation.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
God doesn't have (or need) a Plan B.