Source RPMS

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 12 19:31:34 UTC 2005

Hi vpv,

We prefer bottom posting (post below what you quote).

Answer: Because it makes it easier to follow the interchange.

Question: Why to you prefer bottom posting?

So I will re-arrange this a little.

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 08:00:51PM +0300, vpv wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 11:37:27PM +0300, vpv wrote:
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>I am new to Linux. I need to install source on a Linux machine.
> >
> >Why?  I've been in Linux for years and it's been years since I needed
> >the kernel source.
> >
> >>Is the Kernel source RPM available in the redhat FTP site?
> >>If not where else is it available.
> >
> >If you must, check out
> >
> >http://www.kernel.org/
> >
> >but I don't think you are going to get what you think.  You can't
> >build a kernel unless you have Linux installed.  What you more likely
> >want is
> >
> >http://fedora.redhat.com/
> >
> >>I got this machine to work on
> >>but  there is no distribution CD available.
> >
> >Check out KRUD
> >
> >http://www.tummy.com/Products/krud/
> >
> >It is a superset of Fedora Core 3.  You can buy a single issue (4 CDs)
> >with all the latest patches and bug fixes for only $12.  I have a
> >subscription (monthly issues of the latest) so I can easily keep my
> >five Linux machines up to date.
> >
> >>regards
> >>vpv
> >
> >Cheers,
> >--
> >Bob McClure, Jr.
>
> Hello,
>
> Thanks Bob for the detailed reply. Sorry my original
> mail was not clear enough.
>
> I have a computer with Linux (kernel 2.4.18) installed. But source is not
> installed. I have worked on Linux little bit but never got into
> installation etc.
>
> I have to modify slightly TCP and IP related files from exactly the
> same kernel version as exists in the machine. Thats why I have to figure
> out how to install just the source without changing anything in the
> running kernel and then modify it and recompile.
>
> thankyou
> vpv

Then you should go to the kernel.org site, noted above, and get the
latest 2.4.* kernel, binary and source.  You really shouldn't be
running an original kernel

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
God is more interested in our availability than our ability.