Source RPMS

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 13 19:54:01 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 10:34:19PM +0300, vpv wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, Bob McClure Jr wrote:

> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>Thanks Bob for the detailed reply. Sorry my original
> >>mail was not clear enough.
> >>
> >>I have a computer with Linux (kernel 2.4.18) installed. But source is not
> >>installed. I have worked on Linux little bit but never got into
> >>installation etc.
> >>
> >>I have to modify slightly TCP and IP related files from exactly the
> >>same kernel version as exists in the machine. Thats why I have to figure
> >>out how to install just the source without changing anything in the
> >>running kernel and then modify it and recompile.
> >>
> >>thankyou
> >>vpv
> >
> >Then you should go to the kernel.org site, noted above, and get the
> >latest 2.4.* kernel, binary and source.  You really shouldn't be
> >running an original kernel
> >
> >Cheers,
> >--
> >Bob McClure, Jr.
>
> Hello Bob and others,
>
> Two more questions in this issue.This might be stupid:

I don't think so.

> The installation on my computer is RH 7.2. Can I still get the required
> Kernel source version from Kernel.org and recompile it and use?

Yes.  I don't know what kernel version that uses, but they have the
latest (all known security and bug fixes included) kernels for v2.6,
v2.4, v2.2, and even <gasp> 2.0.

> >latest 2.4.* kernel, binary and source.  You really shouldn't be
> >running an original kernel
>
> Sorry, I did not understand what you meant by this?

You said you are using kernel v2.4.18.  The current version of that
set is v2.4.31, which fixes many bugs and security vulnerabilities.
If you must use an antique version of RH, you can and should keep the
kernel up to date.

> vpv

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
God is more interested in our availability than our ability.