Upgrade from Redhat 9 to Fedora Core 3 - Search for answers

Leila Lappin damovand at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 14 23:59:54 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am researching some online sources to figure out my
problem with Fedora install hanging.  There's been
some suggestions already, and if I understand them
correctly, that the install kernel may be incompatible
with USB keyboard (from this site
http://www.rhil.net/docs/faq.html#install_dies).  Then
I found this site
(http://www.vidarholen.net/contents/linuxtips/) and
the following excerpts from it:

==== Linux problems with solution ===
Problem:
USB mouse using /dev/psaux, the ps/2 mouse device.
Cause:
Bios usb legacy support in action, probably because
Linux didn't probe for USB devices (which causes the
bios to release control of them).
Solution:
Compile the kernel with USB support, Input Core and
USB HID.
Reason:
Duh.

I checked my dmesg and found these two lines:

   hid-core.c: USB HID support drivers
   mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice

Comparing my setup with the above I am concluding that
the problem is indeed the bios USB legacy support in
action.  So what can I do to fix this for the install
kernel?

Thanks Leila