Upgrade from Redhat 9 to Fedora Core 3 - Search for answers

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 16:54:19 UTC 2005

On 6/15/05, Leila Lappin <damovand at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> I followed your suggestion and typed "linux text
> noprobe" at the boot prompt.
>
> This time the process went one step further a dialogue
> box opened up with the option to start a CD media
> check or skip it.  The problem is that the keyboard
> did not work.  So the box stays on that first question
> until it gets faded out.  So now we know for sure what
> the problem is, the boot kernel does not recognize any
> input from the keyboard.

Can you steal a keyboard from another PC for a few moments? If it's
another Linux PC you can usually just unplug it, use it, then plug it
back in, but it's better if you have some old, spare keyboard to try
this with.

> This might be too big a problem for me to solve.  I
> would love to upgrade to Fedora but I don't want to be
> a pest (in this mailing list), especially if the
> problem is such that cannot be fixed without a closer
> look.  Your feed back as to whether I should continue
> or not is much appreciated.

Nah, don't worry about that. As someone who has pestered this and
other lists for years it's the nature of the beast and we'd like to
see you get running.

What is that specific machine running currently? An earlier Fedora
Core or something else. (Or nothing since it's new.)

cheers,
Mark