Help needed Fedora Core 4 install problem, X server does not start

Leila Lappin damovand at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 20 20:48:54 UTC 2005

--- Bob McClure Jr <robertmcclure at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 01:30:36PM -0700, Leila
> Lappin wrote:
> > I installed Fedora Core 4 today.  But several
> things
> > failed and one of them may be causing the problem
> that
> > X server ( graphical interface) is not coming up.
> > get a dialog box popping up with this message:
> >
> > I cannot start the X server ( your graphical
> > interface).  It seems that the pointer device
> (your
> > mouse) is not set up correctly.  Would you like to
> > view the X server output to diagnose the problem?
> >
> > Now I seem to be in text mode, what do I need to
> do
> > next?
>
> I've not yet seen FC4, but in FC3, the command to
> run is
>
>   system-config-mouse
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Bob McClure, Jr.             Bobcat Open Systems,
> Inc.
> robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
> God is more interested in our availability than our
> ability.

Hi,

Thanks for your help.  I did what you suggested.  A
dialog box popped up to choose the mouse type.  The
right one was highlighted so I just pressed pf12 to
move to the next screen. The dialog box went away.
Two lines of diagnostics are showing on the console:

Shutting down console mouse services:   ok
Starting console mouse services:  ok

What should I do now?