Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 27 17:47:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:20:45AM +0300, vputhen at cc.hut.fi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am doing some work on 2.4.18 kernel. I got bcm5700 driver for a 3com Gigabit
> ethernet card which I bought 2 years ago. My problem is that when I compile a
> new kernel (with the same version but with other changes), I have to always
> insmod it after the new kernel has booted up. Is there someway to load this
> module in the kernel after compilation and before it is booted? I cannot find
> broadcom in the list of vendors while configuring (make xconfig or make
> menuconfig).
>
> thankyou
> vpv

You should be able to make an entry in your /etc/modules.conf to the
effect of

  alias eth0 bcm5700

and it should get loaded as soon as it's needed.

Have you considered upgrading to FC2, 3, or 4?  One of those probably
already has support for the bcm5700.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
God doesn't have (or need) a Plan B.