backing up /sys

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 28 19:24:37 UTC 2005

I'm in the process of checking out a CD/DVD-based backup package.

http://www.bluehaze.com.au/unix/cdbkup.html

In my first test, I noticed in the error log a bunch of carps about
file sizes changing in /sys.  I know that /proc is a pseudo filesystem
comprising nothing but hooks into the kernel, and I know that I don't
want to back that up.  /sys looks like the same sort of thing, full of
directories that take up 0 bytes, down to files that ls reports as
4096 bytes.

Is it safe to assume I don't want to backup /sys?

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
God doesn't have (or need) a Plan B.