boot problem

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Mar 1 17:07:27 UTC 2005

roland brouwers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following problem.
> When a Siemens primergy server boots he stops at "start local services",
> just after he starts service rhnsd.
> He stays at this line forever.
> When I boot with the "I" prompt and skip local services he continues.
> What is or are the local services?

You didn't say what kind of system this is.  Anyway, you could do the
following:

	cd /etc/rc.d
	grep -ri services *

That will search all startup scripts to find the phrase "services".
Find the script that contains that word and look at it to find which
services it starts.  One of those is the culprit (odds are it depends
on the network somehow)

BTW, rhnsd is the Red Hat update daemon.  It queries the Red Hat network
to see if there are new updates to be applied (you know...it drives that
checkmark-arrow-exclamation-point icon in the toolbar).
-  You know you've landed gear-up when it takes full power to taxi.  -
-                                                -- Chuck Yeager     -