Linux to Linux

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Mar 7 17:37:06 UTC 2005

brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> What am I doing wrong?  I seem to have no problem networking from
> Windows to Windows or Windows to Linux or Linux to Windows but
> for some reason I can get my Linux to Linux network talking to
> each other.
>
> I need some instructions - simple if possible.  It seems that
> people have gone to great lengths to simply describe or simplify
> the Windows connection (using SAMBA) but when I start looking at
> Linux to Linux connections it's all in tech talk which is over my
> head.
>
> I will do it command line (as long as its permanent) or using
> WebMin or something else if needed.  I need to know how to
> configure things or what ever I need to do.
>
> I want to share drives and printers.
>
> I'm running RH9.0 on one machine and RH FC2 on the other (this
> one is also a notebook with a wireless network adapter).  Like I
> said I can share drives and printers with my windows machines but
> these two don't want to play nice and share.

As far as sharing files, Linux "speaks" two languages, Samba and NFS
(network file system).  You already seem to know about Samba, since
you're sharing files between Linux and Windows (which is the hardest
bit).

A samba server shares its files by specifying those files in a "[label]"
stanza in /etc/samba/smb.conf and runs the nmbd and smbd daemons.  I
assume you know how to set that up.  Conversely, a samba client simply
mounts shares by use of the "mount -t smbfs" command (or by specifying
"smbfs" in the /etc/fstab).

Similar stuff is done in NFS.  An NFS server puts the directories it
wishes to share in the /etc/exports file (see "man exports").  The
server then runs several daemons: portmapper, rpc.lockd, rpc.statd and
rpc.nfsd to share those directories out.  Conversely, an NFS client runs
portmapper and mounts the directories via "mount -t nfs" (or specifying
"nfs" in the /etc/fstab entry).

If you could be a bit more specific in what you want to do, I can help
more.
-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -