remote control with local display

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 9 23:39:10 UTC 2005

Jeff Kinz wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 11:17:16AM -0800, Ted Potter wrote:
>
>>However we would like the "session" to show up on the local display so
>>that the user can see what we are doing.
>>
>>Does anyone know of a product that will provide that ? my thinking is
>>that vnc or rdesktop will not display the remote session on the local
>>desktop.
>

> Sounds like "teacher tool" used by many people in the ltsp and k12osn
> lists. not sure where it is but you can ask them on their respective
> mailing lists.

> Here is one posting about it:
> http://email.riverdale.k12.or.us/mailarchives/k12ltspdig/1272.html

You can also set up X on that machine to include the vncserver module.
Then, if you vncviewer it, both users see what's going on.  Make sure
you have the /usr/X11R6/modules/extensions/vnc.so module, then edit
the /etc/X11/XF86Config and add this line:

	Load  "vnc"

to the 'Section "Module"' part and add:

	Option      "passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"

to the 'Section "Screen"' part (the path must be to the vnc password
file of some user).  Samples:

	Section "Module"
	        Load  "dbe"
	        Load  "extmod"
	        Load  "fbdevhw"
	        Load  "glx"
	        Load  "record"
	        Load  "freetype"
	        Load  "type1"
	        Load  "dri"
	        Load  "vnc" <<<---!
	EndSection
	-
	-
	-
	Section "Screen"
	        Identifier "Screen0"
	        Device     "Videocard0"
	        Monitor    "Monitor0"
	        DefaultDepth     24
	        Option      "passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd" <<<---!
	        SubSection "Display"
	                Depth     24
	                Modes    "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768"
			 "800x600" "640x480"
	        EndSubSection
	EndSection

Restart the X server (log out and back in, or give it the old
"CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE") and the main display will now be accessible via
both the local screen and vncviewer.  Both are active, too (both local
and remote can move the cursor, enter data, run programs, etc.)  Note
that the local display may be just a bit slower on refreshes when a
remote user is also attached.  It should be pretty normal if no one is
"vncviewering" the display.
-    They say when you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you'll hear    -
-   Satanic messages, but if you play it forwards, it will install   -
-           Windows...which means Satan is in your system.           -