Have static IP, now what

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 10 22:57:24 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 01:17:49PM -0800, Michael Ault wrote:
> My DSL is a 2wire modem/router that allows you to pick
> a single machine to be outside of the firewall. I
> assume I would place the mail server/etc. there as you
> have described doing.

I dunno.  I'm not very familiar with those boxes.  You normally want
your DMZ protected by the firewall, but separate from your internal
net.  Ideally, you cannot get from your DMZ to your internal LAN, save
possibly by SSH.  I don't even allow that.  But you can get from your
internal LAN to the DMZ.  In simple graphics, here is my setup:

           outside (DSL modem)
____________   |
|          |---'
| firewall |----- DMZ