procmailrc question

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Mar 11 00:19:09 UTC 2005

Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 03:41:27PM -0800, Waldher, Travis R wrote:
>
>>Ok.. good question here.
>>
>>If I don't want an /etc/.procmailrc, and I have users that have an
>>invalid $HOME path on the sendmail server, how can I support .procmailrc
>>files for those users as procmail only appears to look at
>>$HOME/.procmailrc.
>

> Not true.  Procmail looks at /etc/procmailrc (not /etc/.procmailrc)
> and then at $HOME/.procmailrc.  Note also that the latter must be
> owned by the user and be writable only by that user (644 perms).

True.  One can also set up the "ForwardPath" option in the sendmail.cf
file to give a list of directories to search.  For example, this line:

	O ForwardPath=/usr/local/etc/forwards/$u.forward:$z/.forward

If the incoming mail was for user "fred", that line would cause the
system to first look for a "/usr/local/etc/forwards/fred.forward" file
If found, it is used.  If not, it tries to find a ".forward" file in
fred's home directory.  You can see that the system defaults to:

	O ForwardPath=$z/.forward

"$z" is filled in with the user's home directory after sendmail does a
getpwent()-style call.

> I'm curious.  What users have an invalid $HOME, and why?

I second that question.
-  BASIC is the Computer Science version of `Scientific Creationism' -