I have a problem with umount (fwd)

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Mar 17 02:24:48 UTC 2005

Maria Cristina del Solar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I shutdown the machine, it appears the following message:
>
> Unmounting file systems: umount2: Device or resource busy
> umount: /var: device is busy
>
> Unmounting file systems (retry): umount2: Device or resource busy
> umount: /var: device is busy

That's not uncommon.  The system should still shut down properly.
The problem is that syslog (or dmesg) is probably still logging to
the /var/log/messages file.

> before to run shutdown, I execute:
>
> fuser -vm /var

That shouldn't be necessary

> later I do stop to all the related services
>
> /etc/init.d/httpd stop
> /etc/init.d/syslog stop
> /etc/init.d/audit stop
> /etc/init.d/crond stop
> /etc/init.d/atd stop
> /etc/init.d/gpm stop
> /etc/init.d/nfslock stop
> /etc/init.d/xinetd stop
> /usr/local/sbin/postfix stop

None of that should be necessary either as those are normally stopped
by the telinit program during shutdown.  Do this command:

	grep id: /etc/inittab

You should get something back like "id:3:initdefault:".  The number
between the first two ":"s is your run level.  You should make sure
there are Kxx-whatever files in your /etc/rc.d/rcX.d directory (where X
is your run level).  Those should be executed by telinit when it changes
from your current run level to run level 0 (halt) or 6 (reboot).
-      Batteries not included.  Offer not valid in some states.      -
-           Your mileage may vary.  Void where prohibited.           -