Help - Java for FC2 and Mozilla

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 17:29:53 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:43:46 -0800, Rick Stevens
<rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    On my Gentoo laptop I have no problems running Java within Firefox
> > and viewing some investment sites I need to use that have Java stuff
> > embedded in their pages. Under FC2 I have no similar success. Can
> > anyone point me toward some RPMs and installation instructions that
> > will actually work on this platform?
>
> I've used the standard Sun java stuff (http://www.java.com) and had no
> problems on FC2 or FC3--even FC3 on an Opteron.

Rick,
   Thanks. I've downloaded the bin file. I'm a little troubled by the
installation instructions:

3) Change to the directory in which you want to install. Type:
cd <directory path name>
For example, to install the software in the /usr/java/ directory, Type:
cd /usr/java/

QUESTION: Where is the standard place to install this software? It
seems to me that I should not just invent /usr/java as it won't be in
my path. Where did you put it?

Thanks,
Mark