[OT?] FIPS.exe Question

Darin Peterson dlpeterson at cableone.net
Fri Mar 18 17:42:29 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com]On Behalf Of Rick Stevens
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 10:38 AM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Re: [OT?] FIPS.exe Question

karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
> I've used FIPS.EXE in the past to create a second partition from an
> existing partition for a dual boot PC, however I am now in need of
> enlarging a partition and removing the second one for retiring a dual boot
> to be just a windows pc for an old 16-bit app that isn't available for
> Linux. So, is there software for Windows similar to FIPS that would allow
> me to do this?

Wouldn't the disk manager in W2K/XP do the job?  I won't swear to it, as
I try to stay away from that sort of thing in the Winblows world.

> As an aside, I would use this command for AIX:
> # chfs -a size='6930442' /u1
> Is there a similar command in Linux?

For ext2/ext3, sure..."resize2fs".  You need to grow the partition
first, using parted or some such, then you can "resize2fs /dev/hdxp".
See "man resize2fs" for details.
-      A day for firm decisions!!!   Well, then again, maybe not!    -

You can also check out "diskpart".  It's somewhat cryptic, but it should do
the job.  Start -> Run -> diskpart.

Take a look at the help.

redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com