RHL installation problem on compaq EVO-D510E(USB kybd)

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Mar 22 19:45:30 UTC 2005

Navin SONI wrote:
> hello all,
>
> i am facing the problem during RHL 9.0 install on Compaq EVO D510E
> model.
>
> i am doing the installation thru PXE.
>
> During Installation,it gives the error message:
>
> pc_keyb: controller jammed (0xff)
>
> After repeating this error message for long,it continues with the
> installation process and then i am able to use both kbd and mouse.
>
> But after the installation is over and i reboot the system,it again
> gives the above error message and continues toward booting .
>
> During booting it hangs over at "Found New Hardware".
>
> Even though during the interactive session if i tried pressing "I" it
> doesn't take it.
>
> Wheather the problem is with USB keyboard or anything else.
>
> ALso i am using LILO boot loader.
>
> While using GRUB,it hangs at the begining itself,saying Loading GRUB
> stage2.
>
> any help would be appreciative.

First off, RH9 is dead, dead, dead.  Red Hat stopped supporting it over
a year ago.  If you want a free Linux, you really should use Fedora Core
3 (which is what Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 is based on).

That being said, go into your BIOS on your machine and disable "Legacy
USB Support" (or whatever your BIOS calls it) and try again.
-              Death is nature's way of dropping carrier             -