What's required to make wireless reliable?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 21:25:35 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:29:27 -0600, Otto Haliburton
<ottohaliburton at comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]

-13db 12" from the router
-36db here at my desk
My desk is in the same room as the router but on the other side of the
bed. Approximately 14 feet east of the router.

-50db in my son's room
This machine is 14 feet east and 10 feet south of the router. Go
through 1 wall to get to this machine.

-63db in my wife's office
This machine is approximately 35 feet south of the router. The signal
either goes through 3 walls or goes outside through a window and then
back in through another window to where my wife's desk is.

-73db in the kitchen
This is 14 feet east and 55 feet south of the router. The signal most
probably goes through 4 or 5 walls to get here.

Keep in mind that power drop on any signal from a point source drops
as r-cubed. There is nothing between the 12" measurement and the 14
foot measurement.

- Mark