Volari-XP Display Driver (was RPM install file conflict)

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Mar 29 21:50:30 UTC 2005

John Morfit (VA/NQL) wrote:
> [...]

"Even a blind pig finds the occasional truffle." :-)

> Yes, the VESA 800x600 driver was auto-installed and provides weird, very hard to read colors. It also implemented 29 lines of display area in SH while only showing 25 lines. Very hard to use!

Sounds like it picked up a bad mode when it probed your monitor.  That's
a common-enough occurance.

> I squinted really hard, and edited anaconda-ks.cfg to provide VESA generic with 1024x768 resolution and 24 bit color depth. I also selected the Trident CyberbladeXP driver in the Applications>System Settings>Display>Hardware>Video Card. Then I logged out. Startx failed, so I delected xorg.conf and restored the backup.

A hint:  While looking at the GUI screen, "CTRL-ALT-F1" through
"CTRL-ALT-F6" will get you to a standard text mode command line login.
There are six of them and then correspond to the six virtual consoles.
Also, while looking at the GUI screen, a "CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE" will
restart the X system and return you to the GUI login.

When in one of the text-mode screens, holding down ALT and pressing F1
through F6 will switch you between the virtual consoles.  And since the
GUI runs on virtual console 7, "ALT-F7" will return you to the GUI.
Neat, eh?  Now you know more than you ever wanted to.

> Now with startx, I get proper colors! Go figure. And SH has 25 lines displayed & implemented (I can use Emacs properly!).

Yet another quote:  "There are stranger things in heaven and earth than
are dreamt of in your philosophy."  And in Linux, on occasion it seems.

Weird! :-p

> Thanks,

You're welcome, sir.
-    Reality: A crutch for those who can't handle science fiction    -