DF & DU report different size

Tech Guy tek_guy at rediffmail.com
Wed Mar 30 19:26:39 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have a file system which is 12GB in size. I have oracle on this filesystem. df shows me 100% on that filesystem but when I use du, I find only 6GB is been used. I donot know where the rest 6GB is ?

I assume there are open files. I tried the command "fuser" on that filesystem and I see 100s of processs which are oracle.
I also tried lsof and see many processes again that are oracle.
I am not sure if I can kill those processes

Has anyone know a better way to find which is using the diskspace and how to clear it without having to reboot the server

I appreciate your help.

Thanks
TG