Network slow in one direction

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon May 2 21:54:27 UTC 2005

Ken & Joy Carr wrote:
> We have a network with a Linux (FC2) server and several Windows (XP and
> Win2K) workstations. Samba on the server provides shared folders for the
> windows machines.
>
> Opening files that are in a Linux-shared folder from a windows machine
> happens very quickly. However, saving files from the windows machines to a
> shared folder takes an excessively long time. For example, opening an 8 MB
> file (in a server shared folder) using Power Point takes 1-2 seconds while
> saving the same file takes over 5 minutes.
>
> The problem is present from any of the windows machines and happens with any
> of the shared folders. Different applications, and copying files using
> windows explorer exhibit the same problem.

Have you checked the Samba logs in /var/log/samba/hostname.log to see if
that offers a clue?

I suspect you either have an authentication problem or there's an issue
with converting Windows-style permissions to Linux-style.  We'd need to
see the share definition in your /etc/samba/smb.conf file as well as the
authentication bits from the [global] section.
-     "Daddy, why doesn't this magnet pick up this floppy disk?"     -