Samba on linux file permission issues

drumil narayan drumilnarayan at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 08:42:12 UTC 2005

Dear all,

am not a guru in linux and samba.

our management wants me that the files of every
developers be kept and accesed thr' linux servers
instead accessing from NT server.

so I created few users put them in one group.
given the umask as 027.
mapped unix users and samba users and their
directories/folders as logical drives for windows
development..the owner and selective users have read
write access to their folders.

if the user creates his/her file in linux the
permissions are set as per umask.

if he/she tries to create it using windows then its
problem file gets created with rwxr--r-- permissions
set to.

if the file is copied from othere folder or checked
out a program from VSS he/she is not able to overwrite
in his/her directory..

I tried with umask 0011,0000, 0022 etc no luck..

can you please help me..thanx in advance..drumil