Machine Specific System Name

Algis Zyle - ISS azyle at integrity-software.com
Wed May 4 17:41:15 UTC 2005

All,

I'm sure this is pretty straightforward to someone out there. We've got an application that we'll be re-deploying on numerous hardware platforms (99% are RedHat systems). For Security reasons, what would be a pretty solid way at the OS Level to assign a unique system Id for that specific Hardware/OS Level, etc...Basically a type of Key to prevent unauthorized porting to a different machine. It doesn't have to be 100% failsafe, ease of use is preferred. Uname doesn't seem to give enough information at the Linux Level...Any simple scripts or comments well appreciated.

Thanks,
Al