DNS question

William Kirk william.kirk at nadel.com
Tue May 10 15:32:02 UTC 2005

If your ISP is hosting your DNS for MX and WWW already,  seems to me all
you need to do is point the A records for WWW to the new IP addresses, not
switch registrars.
The only changes in DNS should be A records for the entries you need to
point to the new IP addresses.  Provided the domain name is still the same
that is.
If it's an entirely new domain, then you need to change the A records for
that domain.

Been there a few times.

Regards,

Bill Kirk
Network Administrator

At 08:02 AM 5/10/2005, you wrote:
>I've managed to completely confuse myself.
>
>I have a domain registered at a registrar and hosted at a provider.
>
>The provider has given me primary and secondary DNS names and ip addresses.
>
>I have entered those at the registrar's site. All whois queries work and
>email is configured and working properly.  I can find the web site from
>anyone's browser.
>
>I now have a new company which has built commercial web pages for me, and I
>need to make them active.  This company says I need to change my DNS addresses
>with my registrar to make this work.  Is this correct?  They will then take
>over hosting the domain (become my NEW provider)?
>
>They do NOT do any email, so if I make the DNS server changes at my
>registrar,
>will my email break?
>
>If not, then I'm not sure I understand how any of this works.
>
>I thought that my provider (ISP) puts up A and MX DNS records which allow
>resolution of my web pages and my email addresses.  If I switch to a new
>provider that claims to not do email, who will make my email work?
>
>thanks,
>-chuck
>~

-------------------------------------------(0)---------------------------------------------------
William C. Kirk  - Network Administrator
Jack Nadel, Inc. 9950 Jefferson Boulevard, Culver City, CA 90232
Phone: 310-815-2600  Fax: 310-839-9486
email: william.kirk at nadel.com

Confidentiality Notice: The information in this e-mail message,
including any files or documents attached hereto, is confidential and
intended only for the use of the addressee's named above. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone at
310-815-2638 and return the original message to the sender at the above
address.